Invisalign® is a popular orthodontic treatment option for both teens and adults, and there are plenty of reasons why. As a leading orthodontist practice in Scottsdale, AZ, Dunn Orthodontics offers Scottsdale Invisalign treatment using the most advanced options for truly custom treatments — and truly beautiful results. If you’ve been considering Invisalign’s clear aligner system to help you get a more beautiful, more confident smile, here’s what you should know.
How does Scottsdale Invisalign work?
Invisalign uses a series of custom-made aligners that are designed to fit the curves and contours of your mouth. The custom design means your treatment can be tailored specifically to your needs, correcting spacing and alignment problems as well as issues with your bite pattern. Each set of aligners in your series will have slight differences in shape. After wearing a set for a couple of weeks, that set is replaced by the next set in the series. The small differences in the shape of each set of aligners is what keeps your teeth moving to their final, proper positions.
Scottsdale Invisalign aligners are made with a proprietary material called SmartTrackTM, a special type of plastic that’s the product of more than 10 years of development. SmartTrack helps your aligners work more effectively compared with other types of aligners, and it also makes the aligners easy to take in and out.
What kinds of problems can be treated with Invisalign?
Invisalign can treat many types of spacing and alignment problems, including:
- Gaps between teeth
- Teeth that are crooked
- Open bites
- Bite pattern problems
Plus, special features like “pop-out” tabs for teens who still have some baby teeth or are waiting for adult molars to emerge, and SmartForce to help your orthodontist fine-tune your treatment for more complex tooth movements.
What are the benefits of Invisalign compared with traditional braces?
For most people, the most well-known benefit of Invisalign is its clear design. In fact, Invisalign’s patented SmartTrack material is so clear, the aligners are often referred to as “invisible braces.” But the clear design is just one benefit. Scottsdale Invisalign offers plenty of other advantages, too.
- Each aligner is custom-fit for your teeth to hug the contours of your teeth. The snug design means Invisalign aligners are really comfortable, and it also makes them difficult to detect while they’re in your mouth.
- While you’ll need to avoid certain foods with traditional braces, you can eat whatever foods you like during treatment with Invisalign. That’s because you remove your aligners to eat meals and snacks, so you don’t have to worry about foods damaging your aligners.
- Caring for your teeth (and your aligners) is simpler, too. You just slip your aligners out before brushing and flossing as usual, and you also remove them for dentist visits. You don’t need to learn new brushing techniques to work around wires or brackets. And the aligners themselves stay clean with regular brushing using a soft-bristled brush. Invisalign also makes products specifically for aligner care.
- You’ll visit our office less frequently during treatment. With traditional braces, you’ll need frequent adjustments — typically once every four weeks or so. With Invisalign, you’ll come in about every six weeks for a checkup, just to make sure your treatment is progressing well. There are no uncomfortable adjustments or “tightenings,” either.
- You’ll finish your treatment faster compared to traditional braces. Most people can complete their Invisalign treatment in 18-24 months, and a few may finish up in a year or so. Thanks to the customized nature of the aligner system, your treatment time will be optimized for your unique needs.
Is Scottsdale Invisalign better than mail-order clear aligners?
Yes. First, Scottsdale Invisalign has been around longer than any other clear aligner system — it’s Invisalign that started the entire clear aligner industry. That means you can feel confident in both your treatment and your results. But perhaps most importantly, it’s important to understand that orthodontics involves repositioning your teeth — and changing the way you bite, chew and use your teeth and jaws. What’s more, those changes are permanent. It makes sense, then, that having an orthodontist oversee your treatment and check your progress regularly is critically important for avoiding complications and making sure you get the best results. Mail-order aligners and “teledentistry” systems may sound more convenient, but they can also be very risky. And if you run into any problems, you won’t have an “in-person” orthodontic team to rely on.
What happens during treatment with Invisalign?
At the beginning of your treatment, your orthodontist will take careful measurements of your teeth and your bite pattern. These measurements are sent to a lab that specializes in making Invisalign aligners. At the lab, the measurement data are fed into a computer that uses computer-aided design software to create a series of three-dimensional “time-lapse” models of your teeth. These models show the direction your teeth need to move to come into alignment. Each model becomes the basis of a set of aligners. Once the models are confirmed, the computer creates the aligners using very precise data and that patented SmartTrack material.
During treatment, you’ll wear each set of aligners for about two weeks before moving on to the next set. Your aligners are made just for you, and you can’t “share” aligners with someone else. You’ll have office visits every six weeks or so to check in and evaluate your progress. Your office visits also provide you with a chance to ask any questions you might have. And that’s it. Simple and convenient — yet very effective in helping you get the smile you want.
Am I a good candidate for Scottsdale Invisalign?
Ultimately, your goal is to have a beautiful, healthy-looking smile that helps you feel more attractive and more confident. And in a lot of cases, Scottsdale Invisalign can help you achieve that goal. But there are some alignment problems that respond better to traditional braces. At Dunn Orthodontics, we’ll perform a thorough examination of your teeth and your jaws, as well as an evaluation of your bite mechanics, to make sure you get the best treatment for your unique needs.
Learn more about Invisalign treatment at our Scottsdale practice
A beautiful smile can transform the way you look — and the way you feel. As a top Invisalign provider in Arizona, Dunn Orthodontics can help you get the custom treatment you need so you can enjoy a lifetime of great-looking smiles. To learn more about Invisalign and other orthodontic treatments we offer our Scottsdale patients, book an appointment today.