Once your teeth have become accustomed to having braces and are less sore, you can eat just about anything without worry. There are, however, a few foods that are very likely to damage your braces, and you should avoid eating these foods.
Anything that is sticky enough to pull at your braces could cause damage. These foods can also be very messy to clean off your braces, which is another reason to avoid eating them.
- Gum, including regular or sugar-free
- Soft toffees
- Soft candies like Starburst, licorice, or Tootsie Rolls
Hard foods that shatter can bend or break brackets, wires, or bands. Small pieces of hard foods might also get caught between the wires and the tooth surface, and that can cause pain! Don’t chomp on the following:
- Chewing on hard toffees and other hard candies (you can suck on them, though)
- Ice (don’t chew on it, but you can have it in drinks or to suck on)
- French bread, bagels, and pizza crusts
- Apples, unless sliced
- Raw carrots, unless sliced or chopped into smaller pieces
- Hard taco shells
Sugary Foods and Drinks
Sugary foods and drinks not only hurt your teeth and promote cavities, they can also encourage the bad kind of weight gain that leads to overweight and obesity. Limit or reduce your intake of the following foods:
- Cakes and other sweet baked goods
- Ice cream
- Sports drinks
- Energy drinks
- Other sweetened drinks
Make it a habit to check your braces each day to spot bent or broken wires or loose bands or brackets. If you have damaged your braces, please call us immediately to arrange an appointment so we can repair them as soon as possible. Damaged braces can slow progress and even cause you pain, and we’ll get you in as quickly as possible.